Duluth GA Law Office – (687) 381-1110
Sharing the road with large commercial vehicles is something that we all must do. These trucks move freight throughout the country every day of the week and around the clock. At any one given time, there are over three million semi-trucks operating on the road.
Currently, there are 11 million semi-trucks registered to operate in the United States. When you combine this figure with all commercial trucks over 10,000 pounds, the number doubles. These are staggering numbers, especially when you consider how severe an accident with one of these vehicles can be to a regular passenger car.
Startling Statistics About Semi Truck Collisions
• There were over 500,000 trucking accidents in the United States in 2012.
• Over 10 percent of those accidents resulted in a fatality.
• 98 percent of those fatalities were to the people in the passenger vehicle.
• Over 40 percent of these accidents had catastrophic injuries associated with them.
• More semi-truck collisions occur in rural areas then on interstate roads.
• 66 percent of 18 wheeler accidents occurred during the day.
• 78 percent of all fatal truck accidents occur during a weekend day.
• Eight percent of large truck collisions involve loads that are considered hazardous.
These are only some of the figures released by the Department of Transportation (DOT) surrounding semi-truck accidents.
Injured In A Large Truck Collision? What’s Next?
Duluth victims of an 18 wheeler accident should seek the assistance of a truck accident attorney. You will want to look for a law firm that specializes in handling trucking accident claims. Commercial vehicle accidents must be handled by an experienced attorney that understands this industry. The DOT has very specific guidelines that the truck company and truck driver must follow to legally operate on the roads. You will need a law firm that is familiar with these regulations and can determine which have been violated, causing the accident. You will also need t have an attorney that can understand your specific needs.
As the victim of a trucking accident, you will most likely have suffered more severe injuries, require more intense medical care, and have suffered from more extensive property damage. It is important for Duluth area residents that are affected by a trucking accident to make sure that their attorney knows that your case is different from a car accident case, and handle it accordingly. It is always in the best interest of the victim to work with a firm that is aggressive yet compassionate. This combination ensures that the victim receives the best representation during this difficult period in their life.